Friday, December 7, 2007

A Happy Little Town Called Eindhoven

Howdy!!
Ok...so this is one of those catch up posts -- so that I can fill you in on a cool place that I've been (that I truly believe was more influential to me than Amsterdam). If you didn't guess already...I pretty much just "partied" like it was my Freshman year in college. And honestly, with just about as much abandonment and immaturity -- if not more (common, Greg was there when I was 18 yrs old and roaming the streets of Pullman). Regardless, I left in a cab on a mission to hit Eindhoven for a flight to see my new found friends in Ireland. Got all the way to the airport (two hours away...) on time...and when I went to the check out stand -- realized that I did not have my passport (NOT AAAAGAIN)...yup, back in the safe at my Hostel (hey, I actually did learn my lesson the first time...and now...it was time to learn another). I really, really, really wanted to go to Ireland...and as most of you know...there's not much that can stop me when I "want to" do something (vastly immature).

Got a cab -- round trip from Eindhoven at around 1pm-- flight to Ireland leaves at 7pm (had to check in at 6pm). 2 hours back to Amsterdam...ran into the Hostel grabbed my passport -- back to the cab...3 1/2 hours of rush hour traffic later...I arrived at the airport (hey...at least I saw a ton of windmills on my way...htthmm). Regardless, the folks in Eindhoven weren't budging with 22 minutes left til my flight departed.























FINALLY, reality settled in and I realized that I wouldn't be sitting on an Ireland bar stool in the middle of the country, ordering a "wet one" (aka a Pint of Guiness) with my boys. (sorry guys...maybe St. Pat's Day)... I asked my cabbie (who waited for me...) where the nearest reasonably priced hotel was ...and we made off for it.

I know, man...when will I ever learn?!? (Eccentric...no not me...)

I grounded myself officially and stayed in the hotel for about 2 days. Catching up on sleep and long forgotten Brat Pack movies (I've seen them again -- so you don't need to...). Finally, my last night I hit the town (via my own two feet -- bout a 5 mile walk) and actually had a really good time. Some of the pictures follow -- but I have to say...I've taken myself down a notch since arriving in Amsterdam. There's something about a small little town to bring some grounding. I found the Catholic church (hey, it's sort of like going to Mass...right?),




















a "locals" coffeeshop (totally reminded me of the Lion's Lair in Greenlake -- I think I even hung out with Weire)


















I had some dinner in the place with the "Heineken" sign...and had a couple flutiers of Bavaria stout (by far my favorite beer in Holland) on Stratumseind.





















If I was to continue my journeys as negligently as I did in Amsterdam and my crazy cross Netherlands trip -- I'd either A) be back in Seattle for Christmas OR B) be telling Joel to sell some stocks. Neither of which is an option.
You're immaturely, impatient "big timing" 32-year old is growing up...I promise...However, I will definitely visit Eindhoven again. It's my new "time out" zone.
Neil

p.s. The stairs to my hotel were so small -- its a very dainty place -- the Netherlands that is -- for such TALL people. Crazy. I think they are on the Guy Dahlke diet.




p.s.s. As I was taking the picture of the well decorated Stratumseind Street...I pulled a total "Neil" and wandered into a pole that was perfectly positioned at a 6'2 guy's shin. This is how the real picture turned out. Needless to say, I definitely didn't get "away" with it. You'll be happy to know that a (gorgeous, Dutch - ok, same thing really...) Mother and Daughter combo walked by and could barely contain their laughter. In fact, they didn't. Even as I did a seat role and got back to my feet -- they were laughing for a solid 5 minutes as I tried desperately to limp it off. (It really f-en hurt)... I turned around and tried to play it off...to which they replied with even more laughter (I took a bow and tried to laugh with them...to no avail) I definitely need to bone up on my Dutch...




















p.p.s -- Congrats again to the Cougs on whooping the Huskies!! (Totally worth the $30, Joel -- even though people had no clue who the "Cougars of Wash State" were -- I told them it was a Rugby team and wore it with pride).



No comments: